About The School
Freeman is a public elementary school located on the city's south east side.
It was named after Ralph M. Freeman, a former attorney, judge, and president of the school board.
Freeman currently is home to nearly four hundred students from Pre-Kindergarten through 6th grade.
Freeman offers after school activities for students K-6th grade, has a computer lab, traveling laptop and Ipad carts, voacal and instrumental music, physical education classes, outdoor garden, full day Prek and kindergarten, an active parent club, a Safe Routes to School Grant, and a partnership with the Crim Foundation.
We have a warm friendly staff and welcome parent and community volunteers.
The Man Behind the Name: Ralph M. Freeman
Born May 5, 1902, Flushing, Michigan - Died March 29,1990, Royal Oak, Michigan) was a judge of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Judge Freeman was nominated by U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower on May 10, 1954, to a newly-created seat and was confirmed by theUnited States Senate on June 8, 1954. He received his commission on June 10, 1954. Freeman served as chief judge from 1967 to 1972 and assumed senior status on July 1, 1973. He served in that capacity and continued to carry a full caseload until his death at the age of 87.
Freeman served on the Flint Board of Education from 1935-1949 and was its president for four years. The Ralph M. Freeman Elementary School in Flint was named in his honor.
He was married to Emmalyn Ellis in 1938 and the Freemans had no children. Judge and Mrs. Freeman established a number of scholarship funds at various Michigan schools, including Freeman Elementary, and a law library for federal judges is named in Ralph Freeman's memory. (Wikipedia)
Freeman Mustang 2014
Students, Parent Volunteers, Teachers, Support Staff and the Mustang Family enjoying life at Freeman!